Saturday, November 28, 2009

December and the peppermint assault



As the air gets colder and the malls get fuller, supermarkets and candy shops are stocking up their shelves with Christmas themed candies. A sure sign of the Holiday season drawing near is when shops begin putting out peppermint flavored candy. My youth, as I'm sure most of others' youth, was filled with candy canes at this time of year. The candy cane is not just something pleasing to eat, but it is very appropriate for decoration as well. However, now that I'm older, I feel that around this time of year there is a peppermint overload if you will. Every time I go to buy candy, I hope to see something unique and different, more "Egg nog" candy, "Kwanzaa Candy", something, just something new. Unfortunately, I just see mint and more mint candy.

Now by all means, I do not hate mint candy. In fact, I think chocolate and mint are a great combination; Mint Chocolate Chip is one of my favorite ice cream flavors. However, it isn't because I hate peppermint that I'm writing this, it is because I want more variation in my holiday candy. One of the flavors that I think major candy companies such as Hershey's and Ghiradelli miss an opportunity of capitalizing on is Thanksgiving candy. Pumpkin spice is a flavor that rarely shows it head outside of November and December. Why not take a chance? Maybe they have, I don't know, what I do know is that I haven't seen Lindt Pumpkin Milk Chocolate on my store shelves. I recall a delightful "Egg Nog" flavored Ghiradelli bar one year. I suppose they just don't sell as well as Peppermint and Candy Cane flavored candy bars.

As Winter officially approaches, I'll be sure to check my store shelves and try to sample all the holiday flavors that are available. I'll make sure to evaluate them and give my input. So far I have concluded that, much like all season candy, some flavors and brands are better than others. On a completely unrelated note, fund-raiser candy pales in comparison to other candy. It's a wonder that they cost that much more than regular candy.

Is much better than:

1 comment: