Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trident Vitality Vigorate

In the world of sugar-free gum, 5 Gum and Extra are at the top, at least to me that is. That isn’t to say that I don’t like other brands of gum, it’s just that my preference leans towards these two. I don’t mind a stick of Stride every now and then or some Orbit on occasion. However, I typically am not a fan of Trident. Their “Layers” line of gum is good, but everything else seems to fall short. Maybe it’s because their pieces are smaller or maybe it’s because their flavors aren’t quite right. I’m not sure what it is about Trident, outside of the Layers line, that doesn’t appeal to me. Recently, they have come out with a new line of gum called “Vitality”. Since it was on sale at Target, I decided to buy some and see if it would change my views on Trident.


The box is very nice and I figured that I couldn’t go wrong with a flavor like strawberry and citrus. If you notice, it also says that there’s Vitamin C in the gum. I’m not sure how well that works as a marketing strategy, but okay.


This is the nine piece package. There’s nothing special about it; it resembles all other gums that are in hard shells.


The inside of a piece of Trident Vitality gum. Yes, I did bite it.

The initial bite and the few chews after were very pleasing. The flavor resembled that of most other citrus flavored gums. I didn’t quite detect any strawberry flavor. How good a sugar-free gum is based on, in my opinion, how good the flavor is and how long the flavor lasts. While the first few minutes of chewing were pretty good, the flavor went away rather quickly. It didn’t disappear altogether, but it mellowed out quite a bit. I like my gum to usually have lasting power for at least past the ten minute mark if not more. Overall, this Vitality line is nothing compared to the 5 Gum and Extra. If anything, I think Trident should put more effort into their Layers line and develop more flavors. The Pineapple-Apple flavor is one of my favorite flavors of gum, but the Melon-Mint is not good. On a side note, I want to see gum makers make a cherry flavored gum and lime flavored gum. The Key Lime Pie flavor of Extra’s Dessert line does not count.

Trident Vitality Vigorate: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment