Thursday, January 24, 2013

Crystal Light Liquid: Peach Bellini

Long ago, when cavemen hunted dinosaurs, in order to flavor your water without adding calories, you had to open up a small packet of Crystal Light and mix it with your water. Well, technically, those Crystal Light powdered mixes were 5 calories per serving, as were other low calorie water enhancers, such as sugar-free Kool-Aid and Hawaiian Punch, but they were as low calorie as can be. A problem that I often faced with these mixes was that if I did not mix them thoroughly with the water, there'd be a little pebbles that would form at the bottom of my drink. Also, if you bought the Crystal Light containers that were meant for liters and you didn't use it all right away, the powder would often dry.

Then Mio came along and solved all these problems by being a concentrated liquid flavor enhancer for water. Gone were the days of finding flavored sediment at the bottom of your water and hoping that the leftover mix you didn't use wouldn't dry out. Now, everything came down to squirts and mixing became much easier. Once Mio did this, Safeway and Target started putting out their own water enhancers. After that, Dasani came along and also got in the water enhancing game. During a recent trip to Target, I found this:






Crystal Light, probably the most famous of low calorie powdered drink mixes, has put out their own liquid flavor enhancer. With Mio, I noticed that with their recent products (now with electrolytes I think), they seem to be targeting athletes. With Dasani, they seem to be targeting people who just want to relax and have a zero calorie flavored drink. With Crystal Light, it seems like they want to target people who like fruity cocktails. Well, let's see how well this goes.



I expected a much pinker hue, but it was very red instead

My friends know that I don't drink alcohol. With that stated, I can't tell you if it captures the flavors of a bellini, but it certainly is peachy. When I opened the cap, there was a very strong peach smell, and being a fan of peach flavored items, I was looking forward to this. The initial flavor was okay, but the problem that I had with this was that it had a sour taste that was somewhere between the flavor of wine and vinegar. Although it wasn't bad, and the initial taste was quite good, the aftertaste still bothers me. Because of this, I can't say that I'd choose it over Mio, but if you feel like having a zero calorie mocktail, by all means try this out.

Crystal Light Liquid: Peach Bellini: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment