Saturday, September 15, 2012

Trader Joe's (Jacques') Fleur de Sel Caramels

The first time I ever had salted caramels I believe was in 2006. I remember going to Nugget in Davis, CA, and buying a small bag of salted caramels. I don't know if it was because it was the first time that I'd had salted caramels, but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Ever since then, however, I've found that I've been a bit disappointed that I haven't been able to find salted caramels as good as them. Again, maybe I only remember them so fondly because they were my first experience with salted caramels. Whatever the case, often times I will try salted caramels if I see them available.


I have a like/don't really like relationship with Trader Joe's products. That is to say, I'll find things there that I think are really good, but sometimes I'll find things that I have sort of a "meh" attitude towards. However, for the sake of science and taste buds, I decided to sample these.


A wrapped fleur de sel caramel

There certainly is no shortage of salt when it comes to this candy. This was like a candy that was salty with sweet undertones. I don't want to say that they're like those salted licorice candies I tasted a few years ago, but I didn't love these either. Texturally, if you imagine any sort of caramel chew and make it a bit smoother, you've got this candy. If these were a bit less salty and a bit sweeter, I would recommend them, but to me, these fall into the "I guess you might like them" category. If you're into saltier foods, I guess you should definitely check these out.

Trader Joe's (Jacques') Fleur de Sel Caramels: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment