Sunday, April 18, 2010

Taco Bell is delicious, but are their new Tortadas?

Taco Bell has been advertising their new item, the Chicken Tortada. In the commercials, the tortada is portrayed as "not a sandwich", but rather a "tortada". I'm very familiar with tortas, which in a taqueria generally means a sandwich. I had no idea what a tortada was and decided to use Google Translate, which told me that it meant pie in Spanish. I didn't know what a tortada looked like because I only heard about it on radio commercials and didn't see the TV commercials for it. Anyway, my friend, Peter, and I were both curious and decided to check it out. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me, and we ate in the Taco Bell, so please click this link to find out what it looks like:

http://www.tacobell.com/menuitem/bacon-ranch-tortada

Basically, it looks somewhat like a Crunchwrap Supreme or the end pieces of a quesadilla. They have two varieties, the Bacon Ranch Tortada, which is linked above, and the Salsa Roja Tortada. Since they're cut in half, we decided to order a different one and try half of each one. Peter ordered the Bacon Ranch Tortada, and I ordered the Salsa Roja Tortada.

The outside of the Salsa Roja Tortada is like a quesadilla, while the insides are like a Soft Chicken Taco. The flavor is also very reminiscent of a Soft Chicken Taco, meaning it tasted like Taco Bell Hot Sauce. Overall it was pretty good. I then tried the Bacon Ranch Tortada, and the first thing that came to my head was a Chicken Bake from Costco. The creamy avocado ranch sauce alongside the chicken and bacon made it very reminiscent of a Chicken Bake. The Bacon Ranch Tortada is of course richer than the Salsa Roja Tortada, but I found that I needed to add more hot sauce packets to contrast the flavor. This one was also pretty good.

All in all, the new Chicken Tortadas from Taco Bell are nothing special and there are items that are available all the time that I'd much rather have over them. These items include quesadillas, Grilled Stuft Burritos, and so on and so forth. There's nothing new about them as the flavors, especially the Salsa Roja Tortada's, can be found in other items on the Taco Bell menu. These items are simply a mix and match of already available Taco Bell items.

No comments:

Post a Comment