Thursday, April 15, 2010

Whatchamacallit: Well, I don't know what to call you either

When I think of Whatchamacallit candy bars I think of my youth. I remember seeing advertisements for them in my brother's comic books. I vaguely remember TV commercials for them, but beyond that I don't ever remember them getting that much attention. There was definitely very little attention brought to this candy bar beyond the early 90's, and yet it still endures on candy stands. Like Twix PB, it's been a long time since I had a Whatchamacallit. I remember them being good, but I don't really remember what was inside them. This is why I decided to buy a bar and have a taste.


Here's the packaging for the bar. As you can see, the wrapper itself is rather plain. When I think of beige colored wrapper I typically think of Almond M&M's. The wrapper also gives us a small picture of the bar, which candy bar wrappers rarely do. I suppose it's because everyone knows what Twix, Snickers, and such look like, but what does a Whatchamacallit look like?


This is what the inside a Whatchamacallit looks like. On the top you can see the caramel filling, and in the middle and bottom of the bar there's the peanut-flavored crisp. What were my impressions on the bar? In my opinion it was a bit confusing. The layer with the crisp disappeared rather quickly and the caramel lingered for a bit afterward. In a sense I suppose it would be like if someone decided to take a Kit-Kat, Reese's Peanut Butter, and Twix caramel and put it in a bar. Of course that sounds great, but in practice there was a bit too much going on and it didn't seem to blend well. However, the bar is pretty good and it deserves to get a bit more attention. I mean if 100 Grand bars got commercials back in the 90's, why shouldn't Whatchamacallits?

No comments:

Post a Comment